Teaching and Learning Overview
The Teaching and Learning Department includes all general education content areas, Multi-tiered systems of support, and gifted services.
Our goal of education in City Schools of Decatur, Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 12, is to cultivate and nurture extraordinary, critical thinkers who are ethical and inspired to make the world a better place.
- The College Heights Early Childhood Learning Center serves children from infant – Pre-Kindergarten. The curriculum and instruction in infant to Pre-Kindergarten classrooms align and/or are guided by the Georgia Early Learning and Development Standards (GELDS).
- Please click here for the Georgia Early Learning and Development Standards (GELDS).
- For Kindergarten to Grade 12, we align our curriculum and instruction to the Georgia Performance Standards of Excellence. Please click here to review the standards for a specific subject and grade level. For resources for specific subjects, please click here .
Our Core Beliefs about Curriculum and Instruction
Both instructional frameworks (EL Education and International Baccalaureate) and the learning standards/expectations support our core beliefs about curriculum and instruction.
- We believe all students can learn.
- We believe students learn best when they experience meaningful, rewarding, and challenging instruction that prepares them for lifelong learning.
- We believe the best learning is active and experienced and happens in a community with others.
- We believe the curriculum is most impactful when it combines rigor with joy.
- We believe it is essential for curriculum and instruction to promote intercultural understanding.
- We believe student achievement is defined not only by mastery of the content standards but also by character development and the quality of the work produced.