Registration Supporting Documentation


    To classify as a resident, a student shall be required to reside with his/her parent, legal custodian or legal guardian within the city limits of the City of Decatur. For purposes of this policy, a resident is defined as an individual who is legally domiciled within the city limits of the City of Decatur and who, on any given school day, is likely to be at their stated address when not at work or school. Where custody of a child is shared by two or more persons, that person who has the majority of time in physical custody shall be the parent or legal custodian whose residency shall be used for determining domicile and enrollment. A person who owns property in the City of Decatur, but does not reside in the city, is not considered a resident for purposes of enrollment. Proof of residency is required when a student initially enrolls in a school and whenever a change of residence occurs.

    The person enrolling a student should provide proof of residency in the City of Decatur school district with the below information.

    Birth Certificate is a required document. If the student is enrolling once the school year begins, if a birth certificate is not available upon registration, a waiver of 30 school days may be granted by the school administrator upon presentation of one of the following that shows the child’s date of birth.
    1. A hospital copy of the birth certificate accompanied by an affidavit sworn by the parent/legal guardian.
    2. A duly attested transcript of a certificate of baptism showing the date of birth accompanied by an affidavit sworn to by the parent/legal guardian.
    3. An insurance policy on the child’s life which has been in force for at least two years.
    4. A passport/immunization documentation to certify the child’s arrival in the United States, showing the age of the child.
    5. Other documentation by a governmental agency to include but not be limited to Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), U.S. State Department and U.S. Customs.
    6. The student’s military ID;
    7. The student’s valid driver’s license;
    8. An adoption record;
    9. An official school transcript; or
    10. If none of these items can be produced, an affidavit of age sworn to by the parent, guardian or other person accompanied by a certificate of age signed by a licensed practicing physician, which certificate states that the physician has examined the child and believes that the age as stated in the affidavit is substantially correct.


    The person enrolling a student should present proper identification. This identification may include a driver’s license, a state identification card, a passport, or other official photo identification, such as an ID card obtained through an official government agency or consulate.

    Enrolling students shall present student records, report card, and/or official transcript of work or credit at the time of enrollment.


    By state law, a valid certificate of immunization (Form 3231, provided by your pediatrician) or a statement of religious exemption is required for enrollment. The certificate of immunization must be completed by the health department or your private physician. A valid Form #3231 must be marked with either “Date of Expiration” or as “Complete for School Attendance.” (A certificate marked with a “Date of Expiration” expires on the date indicated. A current certificate must be submitted within 30 days of expiration.) A medical exemption should be noted on Form #3231 with a current date of expiration.

    Sample Immunization Form #3231
    **Please note, before starting the 2020-2021 school year, all students entering or transferring into 11th grade will need proof of a meningococcal booster shot (MCV4), unless their first dose was received on or after their 16th birthday.  Please click here for Georgia Department of Public Health guidance.

    This information should be obtained within the last year and should be on Georgia Form #3300. This form is available from the health department or your physician and dentist.


    Proof of Legal Guardianship is required for enrollment if the enrolling adult is not the birth parent.


    If legal custody of a child is split between two parents, in addition to the documents listed above, you must also attach a certified copy of the most recent court order identifying each parent’s respective award of physical custody. You are responsible to immediately inform the school of any changes to the court order. The District may request proof of legal custody in situations involving multiple adults claiming control of the same student.


    State law requires that schools ask for this number at the time of enrollment. Students will be enrolled even if the number is not provided, but parents will be asked to sign an Objection to Use of Social Security Form.