Multi-Tiered System of Supports Overview
A National Definition of MTSS (from National Center on Response to Intervention, 2010): A tiered system of support integrates assessment and intervention within a school-wide [general education], multi-level prevention system to maximize student achievement and reduce behavioral problems. Promotes systems alignment to increase efficiency and effectiveness of resources.
The essential components of our MTSS include the following:
- Screening all students to identify students in need of support - before they fail. It’s a preventive model;
- Providing scientific, research-based instruction and interventions in the general education classroom;
- Monitoring a student’s progress in response to these changes in instruction and interventions;
- Using this information and data to shape instruction and make educational decisions.
- Students receive the benefit of a team of education professionals collaborating to make instructional decisions
- Students benefit from having multiple professionals planning and implementing research-based interventions to address their targeted skills.
- Teachers benefit because MTSS meetings are professional learning experiences
- Teachers benefit from the collaborative support from their colleagues
The overarching purpose of MTSS implementation is to improve educational outcomes for all students using a team approach. Something else is new, too. Starting with the 2018-19 school year, the Georgia Department of Education has moved from being the only state with a four-tier pyramid in its intervention framework to aligning with all the other states who have three tiers! MTSS provides the framework for ensuring that all students receive the level of support that they need in order to be successful academically and behaviorally.
This graphic below helps to see the layered approach and connections to family and community partnerships, and teacher and leader development.
The MTSS process in CSD
The flowchart below shows the typical process for how students are identified and supported via the MTSS framework.
How MTSS relates to other supports
Under the Multi-Level Prevention System are several supports: Positive Behavior and Intervention Supports (PBIS), Response to Intervention (RTI), Student Support Team (SST), School Mental Health (SMH), Wrap-Around Services (WRAP), and others. These are further explained in the MTSS Vocabulary section.