Every principal would like to believe that our parents, students, or staff would readily approach us with any race or equity-related concerns. But the reality is that many such concerns go unreported until it’s too late. Here at Decatur High School, we want to make sure that all families, staff, and students have the opportunity to feel safe, seen, and successful. Part of creating such an environment means providing safe ways to report any equity concerns that may emerge. Below, CSD’s Equity and Student Support Department shares answers to some FAQ’s regarding equity concerns at CSD. This information includes steps that employees, parents, or students can take to ensure that any issues or concerns are addressed.
How should I handle a racist incident at Decatur High School (or CSD)?
- Racism and other “isms” aren’t just things that happen “somewhere else.” Unfortunately, they can happen right here in the halls of our school, within the confines of our academic departments, and throughout our city, state, and country. “Isms” are sometimes purposely inflicted by strangers, other times unconsciously by well-intentioned colleagues and friends, and, most influentially, systemically.
- If you believe you have experienced racism (or any other ism) at DHS, it is imperative that we investigate and address your concerns. We encourage you to share your experience with Principal Lofstrand through email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by requesting a phone call.
- If you are uncomfortable contacting your principal directly, and you need more help:
Contact the Equity office by completing the form at this link.
If you prefer to remain anonymous, use the form at DHS Voicebox.
I think a curricular material is racist (ableist, sexist, et ct.); how do I complain?
- Depending on the material, there are varied ways to lodge a complaint. Please start by sharing your concern with our Instructional Coachs at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
I think I have a Title IX or Title IV complaint. What should I do?
- The following links exist to connect the community directly with CSD's Department of Equity & Student Support regarding title IX or IV violations
- Report Title VI Concerns Here: https://www.csdecatur.net/Page/481
- Report Title IX Concerns Here: https://www.csdecatur.net/Page/481
Community communication is invaluable and we want to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance for taking the time to share your thought(s) with your school’s administrator or the E&SS department.