Key Teams for Opening 2020
Dr. Maggie Fehrman, Assistant Superintendent
Dr. Lillie Huddleston, Executive Director of Equity and Student Support
Eston Melton, Executive Director of Information Services
Dr. Kristy Beam, Executive Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Sergio Perez, Executive Director of Facilities and Operations
Shonda Moore, District Lead Nurse
Opening 2020 Teams
Digital Learning: CSD educators from all levels are researching and developing a comprehensive digital learning plan. The team is analyzing the data from the digital learning survey, evaluating plans from other school systems, and developing plans for training and implementation for a digital learning option.
School Health: CSD Registered Nurses are essential members of pandemic preparedness, re-opening and re-entry planning teams. The role of the school nurse is more critical than ever as they are charged with maintaining the health of the school community. Our school nurses specialize in pediatric and family medicine, public health, emergency medicine, critical care, mental health, and legal nurse consulting, etc.
Current standards of practice are evolving for the care of students during the COVID-19 pandemic. CSD registered nurses are staying abreast of current research and adjusting response protocols. Our School Health Team is focused on:
- Creating safe screening procedures for staff and students
- Promoting safe and timely post-COVID19 return to school
- Managing procedures that can increase the risk of COVID-19 through spread of aerosolized particles. This includes students who may require nebulizer treatments for asthma exacerbations, etc.
- Planning for and managing care of suspected COVID-19 cases while protecting the school population from exposure
- Providing care to students requiring daily nursing intervention to manage chronic illnesses while preventing exposure to possible COVID-19 cases
- Supporting physical distancing, hand & respiratory hygiene, and proper use of face masks
- Training and educating staff and students regarding safe and healthy practices to prevent germ transmission
Health and Science Advisory Committee: Community volunteers with backgrounds and expertise in biology, medicine, epidemiology, public health, among others. This group is evaluating available research to help determine how to best mitigate the spread of the virus while balancing the potential negative impact not being in school has on students.
Students with Special Needs: This team will review how schools will meet the individual needs of students, including how we provide counseling services, MTSS supports, IEP and 504 requirements, gifted and talented services, ESOL, EIP, and other services.
Operations: The CSD operations team, in conjunction with the teams above, is working to implement best practices for all areas of school operations, including but not limited to cleaning and disinfecting, serving meals, transportation, and upgrading HVAC units. For additional information about what our operations team is already putting in place, please visit www.csdecatur.net/CSDCOVIDoperations.
Staff Support: The Staff Support department is reviewing the CARES Act and how to best support our staff as they return to our school buildings.