During the period of online learning due to school closure due to COVID-19, special Education and related services will be provided to CSD students with Individualized Education Plans (IEPs). CSD IEP teams will develop Virtual Learning Convintency Plans for all students with IEPs. These contingency plans will be a part of the student’s IEP and will document the temporary provision of special education services provided during the period that the district is using the virtual learning instructional model. In the development of these contingency plans our schools will be utilizing the IEP process. These plans will detail the services of the student in light of these circumstances.
IEP related meetings will continue virtually or via phone by the IEP annual review or eligibility review dates.
The Special Education Department will continue to review federal and state guidance as updated to ensure that we continue to provide the required services consistent with the need to protect the health and safety of students and staff. Below are links that parents can visit to obtain a greater understanding as to the guidance being provided to the school districts in Georgia and the guidance that the CSD Department of Special Education is utilizing to advise CSD schools. Parents/guardians are encouraged to contact the teacher/case manager via email for concerns regarding individual student supports.
- Letter to the community from GaDOE for parents of students with IEPs
- Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE) Federal Programs Q&A on IDEA and School Closures
- Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE) Special Education Services and Supports
- Georgia Insights - Special Education (GaDOE)
- OSERS Coronavirus Guidance
- March 21, 2020 US Department of Education Supplemental Fact Sheet