Senior Homestead Exemption
Thank you for visiting the website for the Senior Homestead Exemption Steering Committee. Here you will find more information surrounding the City Schools of Decatur's current Senior Homestead Exemption, which sunsets in 2021, and information on the work of the Steering Committee.
As provided for in the Board Resolution, the steering committee members are chosen by various groups.
The Steering Committee consists of nine members, as follows:
- A parent member of the CSD System Charter Leadership Team: Meg Robinson
- A member chosen by the Decatur City Commission: Bill Floyd
- A member chosen by the Decatur Lifelong Community Advisory Board: Maria Pinkleton, Board Chair, Lifelong Community Advisory Board
- A member chosen by the Decatur Affordable Housing Coalition: Paula Collins, Chair, Affordable Housing
- A member chosen by the Beacon Hill Black Alliance for Human Rights: Phil Cuffey, Representative, Beacon Hill Black Alliance for Human Rights; Chair, Beacon Hill Equity in Housing Committee; Member, DeKalb Affordable Housing Coalition
- A member chosen by the Decatur Business Association: Dr. Shelia Payton, Chiropractor in the City of Decatur
- An expert in municipal finance and policy chosen by the Board: Gwin Hall, Senior Associate General Counsel, Georgia Municipal Association
- An expert in tax law chosen by the Board: Hans Utz, Tax Exemption subcommittee
- A senior resident chosen by the Board: Elizabeth Wilson, City of Decatur Mayor Emerita
The work of the committee is facilitated by the Superintendent or his/her designee.
Senior Homestead Information and Meetings
Information Regarding the Senior Homestead Exemption:
- Georgia State University Study - November 2019
- City of Decatur Homestead Exemption Information
- Original Legislation
- Frequently Asked Questions
Senior Homestead Exemption Committee Meeting:
Special Board Meeting w/CSD Senior Homestead Exemption Committee (Virtual):
Tuesday, October 27, 2020
06:30 PM Eastern Time
Link to Webinar: https://csdecatur.zoom.us/j/91242530790
Joining a Zoom Meeting: Click Here
First Time Zoom Users: Click Here
Meeting ID: 912 425 30790
Dial-In: +1646.558.8656, 912 425 30790#
Please ensure the name you enter on the form matches the name you use(d) to sign-up for the virtual board meeting.
If the names do not match, it might not be possible for you to be recognized to participate in public comments.
Senior Homestead Exemption Committee Presentations:
Board of Education Meeting - September 8. 2020
Videos of Past Senior Homestead Exemption Steering Committee Meetings
This recording is of the most recent Senior Homestead Exemption Steering Committee meeting.
To see the recording of other previous meetings, please visit https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtkZsZ9W0py21RMo_mENzwXpMmWGFqUHG.
Direct links to past Senior Homestead Exemption Steering Committee meetings:
September 2: https://youtu.be/bqAM53eczeU
August 19: https://youtu.be/LuE38OF6eAY
August 5: https://youtu.be/4__qBDpyPjI
June 30: https://youtu.be/hwSlxwtJ8gY
May 20: https://youtu.be/n7GVGhY832s
View the Board of Education Work Session on Homestead Exemption from September 22, 2020, here: https://youtu.be/wcvALKXHuzE.