Required Registration Documentation

  • Parent/Legal Guardian Identity 
    Parents and legal guardians must identify themselves by submitting one (1) form of picture identification. This identification may include a driver’s license, a state identification card, a passport, or other official photo identification, such as an ID card obtained through an official government agency or consulate.

    To register a child, you must live in the household with the child, have primary charge and responsibility for the child, and be one of the following:

    • A natural or adoptive parent. Step-parents may not register a child for school.
    • A legal guardian with a court-issued guardianship order.
    • A grandparent, step-grandparent, great-grandparent, or step great-grandparent with properly executed Grandparent Power of Attorney which authorizes them to register the child.
    • A person with a properly executed military power of attorney which authorizes them to register the child.
    • A person with a properly executed Kinship Caregiver Affidavit which authorizes them to register the child. This requires approval from a school system social worker.
    • A foster parent with proof of student placement from the Department of Family & Children Services or a representative thereof.
    • A sponsor with an approved International Exchange Program enrolling a child with a J-1 visa.

    Note: If a legal parent/guardian resides in the household with the child, the parent/guardian must complete the registration. In accordance with Georgia Law (O.C.G.A. 20-2-780), the authorized person who registers the child controls the child’s list of approved persons who can pick up the child and sets pick-up restrictions.

    Student’s Age and Identity
    Provide one of the following as required by State Board Rule JBC 160-5-1:

    • Certified, hospital-issued birth record or birth certificate
    • Valid student’s driver’s license
    • Passport
    • Adoption record
    • Religious record that is authorized by a religious official
    • Official school transcript
    • Affidavit of age sworn by the parent, guardian, grandparent, or other authorized person accompanied by a certificate of age signed by a licensed practicing physician, which certificate states that the physician has examined the child and believes that the age as stated in the affidavit is substantially correct.

    To classify as a resident, a student shall be required to reside with his/her parent, legal custodian, or legal guardian within the city limits of the City of Decatur. For purposes of this policy, a resident is defined as an individual who is legally domiciled within the city limits of the City of Decatur and who, on any given school day, is likely to be at their stated address when not at work or school and routinely sleeps overnight at the stated address. Where custody of a child is shared by two or more persons, that person who has the majority of time in physical custody shall be the parent or legal custodian whose residency shall be used for determining domicile and enrollment.

    A person who owns property in the City of Decatur, but does not reside in the city is not considered a resident for purposes of enrollment. Likewise, ownership of a business within the city limits of the City of Decatur does not constitute residency for purposes of attending City Schools of Decatur unless the business is also the primary place of residence where the student sleeps overnight and where the student stays while not at work or school.  Proof of residency is required when a student initially enrolls in a school and whenever a change of residence occurs. Residency verification also takes place when currently enrolled students enter Kindergarten, 3rd, 6th, and 9th grades.

    Proof of Residency (Required Documents)

    • One of the following: Mortgage statement or payment/coupon book, lease, deed, property tax, or settlement statement
      • If you have a lease, all names (parent/guardian and students) must be listed on the lease, name and contact information of the landlord or rental company must be on the lease, and you must sign and submit a lease verification form.
    • One current utility bill (within 30 days) 
      • Acceptable utilities are gas, water, or electric bills.
      • The bill must list the residence as the service address.

    Student Records/Official Transcript
    Students enrolling in grades 1-12 shall present student records. The records should be the official, sealed withdrawal packet, or official transcript. Students enrolling in grades 6-12 must provide discipline records* from the previous school in their school records. Parents/guardians that do not bring official records to the registration appointment will be asked to sign an authorization for the release of records from the previous school district. This records request will delay the official registration process, and the child will be conditionally enrolled until the records are received.

    *Please note: 

    Georgia law, OCGA 20-2-751.2 provides:

    (b) A local board of education which has a student who attempts to enroll or who is enrolled in any school in its school system during the time in which that student is subject to a disciplinary order is authorized to refuse to enroll or subject that student to short-term suspension, long-term suspension, or expulsion for any time remaining in that other school system's or school's disciplinary order upon receiving a certified copy of such order if the offense which led to such suspension or expulsion in the other school system or school was an offense for which suspension or expulsion could be imposed in the enrolling school.

    Georgia Certificate of Immunization
    By state law (O.C.G.A 20-2-771), a valid certificate of immunization (Form 3231, provided by your pediatrician) or a statement of religious exemption is required for enrollment. The certificate of immunization must be completed by the health department or your private physician. A valid Form #3231 must be marked with either “Date of Expiration” or as “Complete for School Attendance.” (A certificate marked with a “Date of Expiration” expires on the date indicated. A current certificate must be submitted within 30 days of expiration.) A medical exemption should be noted on Form #3231 with a current date of expiration.
    Sample Immunization Form #3231

    **Please note, before starting the 2020-2021 school year, all students entering or transferring into 11th grade will need proof of a meningococcal booster shot (MCV4), unless their first dose was received on or after their 16th birthday.  Please click here for the Georgia Department of Public Health guidance.

    Certificate of Vision, Hearing, and Dental Exam
    State law (O.C.G.A. 20-2-770) requires a completed Georgia Form #3300 for all Kindergarten and new first grade students, all students new to Georgia and any child enrolling from a private school. The form must be dated within 12 months prior to the day of enrollment. However, if a student is enrolling from another Georgia public school, a completed 3330 Form will be accepted by any District school. This form is available from the health department or your physician and dentist.

    Student Social Security Number
    According to state law (O.C.G.A 20-2-150d), an official copy of a child’s Social Security card is required for enrollment. However, no student may be denied enrollment for failing to provide their Social Security number. Any legal parent/guardian who objects to the incorporation of the Social Security number into the child’s school records may have the requirement waived by signing a statement objecting. However, a Social Security number will be required by the State for a student applying for the HOPE scholarship.

    Special Education and 504 Documentation
    If a student has an IEP or 504 in their previous school district, parents/guardians should provide copies of these plans during the registration process.

    Proof of Legal Custody
    If legal custody of a child is split between two parents, in addition to the registration documents, parents/guardians must also submit a copy of the most recent court order identifying each parent’s respective award of physical custody. Parents/guardians are responsible to immediately inform the school of any changes to the court order. The District may request proof of legal custody in situations involving multiple adults claiming control of the same student.