EL Education and Primary Learners
EL Education understands that young students engage with and think about the world in unique ways. The following document contains a list of eleven commons characteristics of young learners that is based on the research of developmental psychologists and educators. These characteristics help to guide our instructional practices and create a culture of community in EL Education schools.
- Find security in rhythm, ritual, and repetition
- Learn through play
- Want to belong to a community that is safe, beautiful, and good
- Explore the world with wonder
- Understand the world first through their bodies.
- Seek independence and mastery
- Thrive in the natural world
- Use stories to construct meaning
- Seek patterns in the world around them
- Construct their identities and build cultural bridges
- Express themselves in complex ways
You can find further explanation about these characteristics by following this link. After clicking on the link, scroll down to the bottom of the page to download the detailed document.