- Because some student subgroups have historically been underrepresented in gifted services nationwide, statewide, and in the City Schools of Decatur, our school system has developed the AMPLIFY program as part of our district commitment to amplifying equity and creating opportunities to amplify the strengths of the students in the program.
- Eligibility is based on BOTH of the following:
- Identification as a member of a group currently underrepresented in gifted education
- A documented component mental ability score at or above the 96th percentile, OR a documented CogAT score in the top 10% of scores obtained by students from underrepresented groups in the City Schools of Decatur after universal grade-wide CogAT administration in 1st, 4th, and 6th grades, OR three consecutive MAP scores at or above the 90th percentile in reading or math in combination with a teacher’s ratings indicating high capability in multiple areas (defined as scores at or above the 90th percentile in 4 of the 6 domains rated on the Gifted Rating Scales).
- Parents must sign consent for participation in the AMPLIFY Program.
- Students will participate in gifted resource class alongside gifted students in order to support their enrichment and foster their higher order thinking skills, creativity, motivation, and achievement.
- The AMPLIFY Program exists throughout K-8th grades. Students identified for the AMPLIFY Program in elementary years must continue to meet AMPLIFY criteria as of the end of 5th grade in order to continue in the program in middle school.
- The AMPLIFY Program improved upon the previously existing High Potential Program in the 2018-19 school year.