For over a year, the CSD Board of Education has been working on transitioning to a policy governance framework. At their December 11, 2018 meeting, the Board will vote on their new Board Policy Manual. The policy manual is a living document and will change and adapt as the District’s needs change. An important part of policy governance is the use of Administrative Regulations (AR) drafted by the administrative team. These AR’s are rules and procedures that operationalize Board policy. In order to have AR’s ready soon after the Board implements their new Policy Manual, the administrative team has drafted all of the AR’s mentioned in the manual.
Lifecycle of an Administrative Regulation
The Board and/or Superintendent identifies a need for an administrative regulation, then the Superintendent selects a district administrator to be the “owner” of the administrative regulation. The administrative regulation then goes through the following life cycle.
- The owner of the administrative regulation develops a first draft and circulates it to Cabinet members for feedback.
- The owner of the administrative regulation incorporates the feedback from step 1 into a second draft and circulates it to Administrative Council members (which includes all principals and Cabinet members).
- The owner of the administrative regulation incorporates the feedback from step 2 into a third draft and shares it publicly on the district website, while notifying the public via eBlasts and websites that the AR is available for public input.
- The owner of the administrative regulation incorporates the feedback from step 3 into a final draft and brings it to Cabinet for a vote.
- If the administrative regulation passes, the final version is posted to the district website.
- At an appropriate time in the future, often between 1 and 3 years, the owner of the administrative regulation begins the process again by initiating a review of the existing administrative regulation.
Depending on the content of the specific administrative regulation, legal review may be incorporated into the process.
Administrative Regulations Under Review
The following are DRAFT Administrative Regulations that have not yet been finalized. They are subject to change.
Current Administrative Regulations
The following are current Administrative Regulations that have been approved by Cabinet.