Welcome to Physical Education at OakhurstCongratulations to Oakhurst Elementary for the Let's Move Active Schools National Award!www.activeschoolsus.org/latest
-stories/2017/9/5/active- schools-announces-2017-nationa l-award-recipients
During PE, we seek to educate not only the physical body but the heart and mind as well. We hope to empower and educate the children so they can grow up to be physically active adults.What's Been Happening:
- Airtime - Mindfulness Moments
- Warm Up Songs and Tabata Workouts
- Stretch it Out - Grounded Kids Yoga Poses
- Body awareness, social emotional development, spatial awareness, muscular strength, flexibility - Grounded Kids Yoga - groundedkids.com
- Movement Songs: locomotor and non-locomotor movement in both personal and general space
- Hoola Monsters- hooping tricks www.hoolamonsters.com - ask your child to show you the following tricks: hoop jump, figure 8, figure 8 with super awesome ninja jump, vertical handspin, hoop handshake, waist hooping, body pass, dophin jump and hula huts.
- Individual, partner, small and whole group cooperative games
- Georgia Breathes - Deep Breath Initiative - georgiabreathes.org
- Adventure to Fitness with Mr. Marc - www.adventuretofitness.com
Beginning with the 2011-2012 school year, the official Code of Georgia 20-2-777 requires each local school district to conduct an annual fitness assessment program for all students in grades 1- 12. What does that mean for your child in City Schools of Decatur? K–3rd grade students will be introduced to the following skills: PACER, push-ups, curl-ups, and back saver sit and reach. These skills will be formally assessed in grades 4-12. All 1-12 students will also have their height and weight measured. FitnessGram was selected because it measures only those areas of fitness related to the health of students. This includes: cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition.
Information about FitnessGram can be found at:
Does your child love speed stacking? There are two tournaments coming up! Thanks to Jeremy and Jonah Citron for letting us know about these!
One is in Columbus, Ga. over the MLK holiday weekend. Here is the information site for it: https://www.thewssa.com/tournaments/girls-incorporated-of-columbus-and-phenix-russell-open-sport-stacking-tournament/2223/
The other is in Atlanta on February 16. Here is the link: https://www.thewssa.com/tournaments/hotlanta-regional-sport-stacking-championships/2231/
Let's Go Owls!
Coming Soon!Speed StacksCurl Ups and Push UpsYellow Twist and Shine and Green Balance Beam Gounded Kids Yoga poses