Safe Routes to School System-wide Survey
Deadline: October 13th
Decatur Active Living partners with the City Schools of Decatur to participate in the Safe Routes to School Program and is excited that so many of our children walk and/or roll to school.
Parent surveys enable us to make program improvements and address safety concerns around the schools. Results from this survey will be used in planning transportation improvements and alternatives. Some of the changes that have resulted from past surveys include crosswalks, additional crossing guards and new sidewalks.
Please complete one Safe Routes to School survey for each child in your family by October 13th. In addition please mark the route your child will take to school on the map at the link provided in the survey. You can access the survey here:https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BMMW6R9. There is also a video link embedded in the survey that gives instructions on how to fill out the map.
Safe Routes to School programs promote safe walking and bicycling to school. Here are several highlights from the SRTS program:
- The City’s crews checked sidewalk segments in front of all schools before the beginning of the 2017-18 school year and filed down places where separation could cause a trip hazard.
- The timing of a light at Wilton and Clairemont Avenue has been changed to provide for safer crossing at the crosswalk.
- The City has received a grant for a HAWK signal in front of Westchester School and it is planned to begin construction in last Spring of 2018.
- A HAWK signal and crosswalk is being installed on S. Candler Road.
- Over 58% of the students in the City Schools of Decatur participated in International Walk & Roll to School Day in October and in Georgia Walk & Roll day in March.
- The city has installed 36 crossing guards throughout the city to ensure the safety of our children.
- The Decatur SRTS program has been featured at the National Parks and Recreation Association Conference, the National Walk Summit, The Georgia Parks and Recreation Conference and the Georgia Bike Summit.