Emergency Closing Information
Information regarding emergency closing situations can be found on one or all of the following:
- City Schools of Decatur Website http://www.csdecatur.net
- eBlasts (you must subscribe to this service) http://www.csdecatur.net/subscribe/
- Robo-calls from the school or district (Sent to provided phone numbers)
- City Schools of Decatur Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/cityschoolsofdecatur
- For school closing information on the City Schools of Decatur, tune into the following radio or TV stations: WGST (640 AM, 105.7 FM), WSB (750 AM 98.5 FM), WSTR (94.1 FM), WAGA (Channel 5), WGCL (channel 46), WSB (Channel 2), or WXIA (channel 11). Please listen for "City Schools of Decatur" NOT "DeKalb County Schools."
Winter Weather Closures
When severe weather threatens the Atlanta metro area, City Schools of Decatur activates its Safety Team to evaluate the potential impact on school operations. In addition to receiving regular updates from the National Weather Service, the Georgia Emergency Management Agency, and the Decatur Police Department, this team also monitors the impact of weather-related events on CSD students and employees. The Safety Team makes the best recommendation they can with the information they have available for the safety of our 5,500+ students and nearly 750 staff members.
The final decision to close or delay schools due to weather is made by the Superintendent. One factor the Superintendent must take into consideration is that the majority of CSD's staff members do not live in the City of Decatur. Conditions in the 4 square miles of Decatur may look very different from the suburbs where many CSD principals, teachers, custodians, nutrition workers, and other staff members live.
Please be reminded that the most important thing a parent or guardian can do to prepare for an emergency school closing or delay is to make sure that the contact information they have provided is accurate and up-to-date in the parent portal.
Please be sure that the school also has the names and contact information for those adults who are able to pick up your child if you are unable to reach the school. It expedites the dismissal process in the event of an early dismissal day if the school has these trusted adults' information on file in Infinite Campus.
Parents/Guardians may update their phone number in the parent portal or by contacting your school's administrative assistant.