Stop, Drop, and Walk Routes to F.AVE
There are many benefits associated with walking or biking to school, but not all students live close enough to F.AVE to walk or bike the entire way from home. If you live far from F.AVE, consider driving your child partway to school and then letting him/her walk the rest of the way with you, with friends, or by him/herself. The F.AVE Safe Routes to School team has identified four possible Stop, Drop and Walk Routes. These routes have been chosen for safety, interest for children, and convenience of the drop-off locations. We hope that you will give them a try, and possibly carpool to the drop-off location and/or meet up with parents driving from other neighborhoods.
Click on each image to see an enlarged map.
McKoy Park to Spring Street ( .7 mile)
Highlight: The section through McKoy Park is on a paved path with nice views of the rest of the park.
Drop-off location: McKoy Park parking lot, near the pool house.
- Follow the paved path (near entrance, west of pool) through McKoy Park towards the upper parking lot.
- Exit McKoy Park onto the sidewalk on the east side of Adams Street.
- Turn right onto Spring Street. Travel on the north side, crossing over to the south side at McKoy Street.
- Turn left onto Oakview Road and continue to school. Crossing guards are located at the Fifth Avenue intersection.
Mead Road to Oakview Road (.8 mile)
Highlight: A nice walk past Oakhurst Elementary and through Harmony Park. Enjoy the mural!
Drop-off location: Thankful Baptist Church parking lot on College Avenue.
- Walk on the west side of Mead Road toward Oakhurst Elementary School.
- Cross to the east side of Mead Road at the crosswalk in front of Oakhurst and continue to Harmony Park.
- Walk through Harmony Park to reach the crossing guards located at the Oakview Road and East Lake Drive intersection.
- Follow Oakview Road to school. Crossing guards are located at the Fifth Avenue intersection.
PATH to Oakview Road (1 mile)
Highlight: This route goes through a scenic portion of the PATH which includes two small bridges.
Drop-off location: East Davis Street (very quiet in the early morning) near PATH trail.
- Enter PATH, bearing right after the first bridge.
- Exit PATH onto Oakview road at the 3-way stop with crossing guard.
- Continue on Oakview Road to school. Crossing guards located at East Lake Drive and Fifth Avenue intersections.
Third Avenue to Oakview Road (.9 mile)
Highlight: Quiet tree-lined streets with sidewalks.
Drop-off location: Oakhurst Baptist Church parking lot on Third Avenue.
- Walk on the northeast side of Third Avenue toward Oakhurst Park.
- Cross over to the west side of Third Avenue at the 4-way stop at the East Lake Drive intersection and continue on Third Avenue to Maxwell Street.
- Turn left onto Maxwell Street and continue to Oakview Road.
- Turn right onto Oakview Road and continue to school. Crossing guards are located at the Fifth Avenue intersection.
These routes have been chosen for safety, interest for children, and convenience of the drop-off locations. We encourage parents to carpool to the drop-off locations and/or meet up with parents driving from other neighborhoods. Also, since parent driving time will be decreased both due to the lesser driving distance to drop-off points and because traffic is lighter earlier in the morning, some parents will find it possible to either routinely or occasionally walk all or partway to school with their child.