Musical Theater Overview
The Musical Theatre program at Decatur High School provides students with the opportunity to learn the crafts of singing, dancing, and acting through the instruction of technique and the participation in live performance experiences. Students are also exposed to real world audition practice, resume building, and the study of the history and business of theatre.
1. Skill development in Acting, Singing, and Dancing
- Daily Instruction
- Performance opportunities
- Master classes and workshops
2. Understanding the “business” of Musical Theater
- Having a personal repertoire book
- Audition preparation and practice
- Field trips - to experience live theatre
3. Practical Performance Experience
- Full length Musical performance(s)
- Cabaret/Revue style performances
- Touring shows and Community outreach
The Musical Theatre program is supported by the Decatur High School Performing Arts Association (www.dhsperforms.com), a non-profit parent volunteer organization. The mission of this organization is to promote and support performing arts education at Decatur High School through chorus, musical theatre classroom activities and extracurricular activities.