Physical Education Overview
Physical Education Mission Statement
To empower all students to sustain regular, lifelong physical activity as a foundation for a healthy, productive and fulfilling life.
What is Physical Education?
Physical Education is an important component of each student’s school experience. Physical wellness and psychomotor skills are developed through a variety of activities. As a young adult, it is important to acquire and refine skills that will enhance the quality of life through physically active and healthy habits.
The student will be required to bring the appropriate dress to class every day. Appropriate dress includes gym shorts/pants, tennis shoes, and t-shirt/sweatshirt. No open-toed shoes or jewelry is allowed in the gym or during any dance activities.
Students will be allowed to dress in/out in the locker room. They are responsible for any and all of their personal items. It is recommended that large amounts of money not be brought to class. If you wish to lock the locker, you must bring a lock. Any damage to the locker rooms will result in loss of locker room privileges.
All students are expected to adhere to all policies outlined in the student handbook as mandated by Decatur High School, including, but not limited to, the following.
1. BE ON TIME: Be in the gym when the bell rings.
2. BE PREPARED: Bring your own supplies to class. Dressing out is part of being prepared.
3. BE RESPECTFUL: Pay attention when the teacher or peers are talking. Respect their property, personal space, and ideas.
4. NO CHEATING: Academic dishonesty is absolutely not tolerated. This will result in no Credit on the test/assignment and a parent/student/teacher/administrator conference.
5. Food and drinks are NOT allowed in the gym or football field. You are only allowed to bring water bottles inside the gym or on the football field.
6. NO BACKPACKS: Bring your Physical Education Clothing in your hands, a plastic bag, or a bag that will not break the student handbook rules.
7. NO CELL PHONE use is allowed. 1st offense Warning; 2nd offense - take up for the remainder of class; 3rd offense take up for the remainder of the class, Give to an administrator, you will have to speak with them to get your phone back; 4th and all remaining offenses administrative referral.
8. NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES (I-pods, portable music devices, Ipads, Personal Computers, etc.) 1st offense Warning; 2nd offense - take up for remainder of class; 3rd offense take up for the remainder of the class, Give to an administrator, you will have to speak with them to get your device back; 4th and all remaining offenses administrative referral.